As you may have already guessed, many things have combined to make me stop posting to this blog. (First school, now work.) Rather than fitfully posting a handful of times a year, I think I’ll officially call it. But there’s a lot of good content here that I’m going to leave up for posterity. Here are some of my favorite posts:
Transportation – I love looking at the transition here, from driving a hybrid car, to riding a bike, to renting out our car. Now I’m driving to work (boo!), but Jason’s riding a bike, so I guess it balances out.
Home Improvement – We made a lot of effort to learn about weatherization after we moved into a drafty apartment, and it was a lot of fun.
- Installing V Channel Weatherstripping on Drafty Windows
- Incense Sticks Find Drafts We Missed
- Weatherization Barnraising
- Fun with a Thermal Leak Detector
Water – From reducing wasted water to reducing wasted water filters.
Energy Use – If I’m going to make an effort to save energy, I like to know the best places to focus.
- Fun with a Kill-a-Watt
- Residential Energy Use with Michael Blasnik: Higher Priorities
- Residential Energy Use with Michael Blasnik: Lower Priorities
- Replacing My Refrigerator with or without Energy Star
- Which TV Is the Most Energy Efficient?
- Steam Radiators? Here’s How to Improve Your Boiler’s Efficiency
Recycling – From municipal recycling to people recycling.
- Cambridge Switches to Single Stream Recycling
- Touring the Casella Recycling Plant
- Festival Recycling: 3 Lessons Learned
- Green Burials
Food – I have a hard time cooking real food regularly, but focusing on it for this blog helped me out a lot.
- Farmers Markets in the Boston Area
- Food Blogs I Have Loved
- Easy Orzo Salad
- Which Reusable K Cup Filter Is Best
Personal Care – Some of the most personal — and successful — changes I’ve made.
- Why I Switched to an IUD
- Smell My Armpit — I Dare You
- Oxybenzone Worse than Parabens
- How Do I Know if My Shoes Are Vegan
- Where to Find Vegan Shoes in Boston
Cleaning – How to clean your house (or have someone else do it) without using horrible chemicals or supporting unfair employment practices.
- Vida Verde A Green Cleaning Co-Op
- Green Cleaning Products from Vida Verde
- Interview with Ruth Alves from Vida Verde Co-Op
Vermicomposting – Probably one of the least impactful things I’ve done, but the most fun.
Education – The most difficult (and most fulfilling) thing I did in the last decade was going back to school. It took up so much of my time that I didn’t do a lot of outside writing, but here are a few posts about it, along with a great paper my niece did on land use of my parents’ property in Maine that I know we’re going to continue to refer to.
- My Thesis, Or Everything You Wanted to Know about Anaerobic Digestion
- Environmental Masters Programs in Boston
- Forestry Management
Reviews – Fun reading (and not-so-fun watching).
Thank you for reading my blog! I learned so much while I was writing it, and I loved the conversations we had through it.